Sunday, August 7, 2011

Finishing the First Week

Well week one of my 2nd year teaching 6th grade is over and all I can say is: WOW. Originally I had 30 students on my roster and I was stoked about this because I had one of the larger class sizes which meant I would be one of the last ones to get new enrollments. Well, day one- I had 9 kids not show up. By the end of the week I had several withdraw, several just never show up and believe it or not, a few that were absent. Most of the week I was working with a class size of 19-21 students.
This was sublime.
I feel for one of my teammates because he doesn’t even have enough desks in his room and has to have 3 students sit at the back table. Oh—he also doesn’t have enough text books, and I am not allowed to share my 10 extra of every book with him.  Sorry, friend!
Now, like I said, having 19-21 students was sublime. Usually the first few days are a “honeymoon” stage, but all week was magnificent. I didn’t have ANY behavior issue to address. When we were in the hallway, my class was completely silent even when their peers from other classes were not. When I asked them to discuss something with the people in their groups, all of the groups were on task! They received stellar reports from their Related Arts teachers all week. My Principal and Vice Principal came to my room several times and observed them in the hallway and praised their respectful, obedient and mature behaviors.
There were several moments of sheer awkwardness because of how quiet they were when doing independent activities. (I try to break up the silence with an instrumental hip-hop Pandora station.)
I think I was in shock this week. I had one bad pregnancy day, and one bad pregnancy morning. That is the only thing that went “wrong” this past week for me. I couldn’t have asked for a better first week!
For people who work with me or who are close to me, you know that my class last year had its….challenges. I absolutely ADORED my class and built really strong relationships with them, but they were not always easy to work with. I had a lot of big personalities and students that needed a lot more focused attention than I was always able to give them. I know that I will have students like that this year—but at this point, I cannot say which ones they will be. I am so thankful to have had a class like last year’s class as my first class, because I didn’t know any better and had nothing to compare them to. Maybe that’s why this class almost seems (dare I say) boring…because in comparison—thus far, they are.
That sounds bad, and I don’t mean for it to; however, having ALL students follow my directions the first time given is just so odd. Before we leave the room I say, “Make sure your pants are pulled up, shirts are tucked in, you’re in a straight line and you’re at a level 1.” (Level 1 is silent) As I inspect them with my handy clipboard ready to hand out fouls (my discipline plan) to students not following my directions, I cannot find a single student to call out.  I walk backwards for a while to see if I can catch any…and I can’t. I walk forward and then quickly turn around expecting to see some clown acting out…and I don’t. I’ve had several teachers comment and compliment what a change I seem to have from last year.
I know that my numbers are small, but I am hopeful that when I start getting all of the new students, they will see how amazing this class is and fall in line with them. I am so grateful to be so blessed with such great kids two years in a row. I can’t wait to get to know them more and watch them grow and develop. J

No comments:

Post a Comment