Saturday, September 11, 2010

everything happens for a reason

This was a crazy week. The more I learn about my students and their backgrounds, the more I becoming invested in them becoming successful. I could never imagine going through half of what some of my students have gone through. They are so strong at such a young age and I feel truly blessed to have all 25 of them in my life. I never thought I would teach a higher elementary grade.

From early on in my educational experience, I really thought I was meant for first grade or some other lower grade. I was intimidated by the older grades because of the content material, my self conscious feelings of looking young, my preconceived ideas about how the older they get the more disrespectful they become.....the list keeps going. By no means am I a religious person, but I do believe in something higher that put me where I am for a reason. Meeting these kids has helped make me a better person. Each one comes with their own personalized history and uniqueness. Never again will I look at a person and think I know what kind of life they have probably had and what type of person they probably will become. In these short weeks, I have felt emotions I didn't know I had.

I will not look at a student with bad grades and assume its because they don't care or don't try. I have seen students try their hardest and still not pass an assessment. It breaks my heart when they become so frustrated in class working on assignments or assessments that are just simply above their level. At this point, I am doing my best adapting the lessons to meet their needs, but its much easier said than done.

Finally, even though I have never really done this in the past, I certainly will not begin to assume that when a student acts out or doesn't do well in school, its because their parents don't care. This is simply absurd. Yes, there are parents out there who might not care; however, its so unfair to think that a student who is making bad choices is because of parents who instill values of not caring. I believe that parents/guardians want nothing but the best for their student. I wish people would stop saying Warren is ghetto because parents don't care about how their kids do in school/life. 

absurd.



~*~Sidenote: Happy 9 month Birthday Aubrey and Rayleigh
so angelic
so precious
so rotton
Thing 1 Thing 2

No comments:

Post a Comment