Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's my motivation?

I had a realization the other day. Soon I will be 26 with a masters degree in education. Holy cow. Almost 3 years of experience with my masters?? Ambitious much? I know I complain about grad school a lot, but I really am proud of myself. I like school. I enjoy the challenge of it and (not to brag) but how good I am at it. It really builds my confidence.

This all led me to question....what next? What are my professional goals? I am the type of person who likes to set goals. Even more, I like to attain my goals. Don't you love the feeling when you work hard for something and reach what you were intending? Only...in my case, I'm stuck. I don't know what my ambitions are after getting my masters. I'm getting it in educational technology...not because I want to be a technology guru in my district but because I believe in the implementation of technology and the advancements they add to the "school experience" for today's students. Sooo what is my next step? Do I want to be a classroom teacher forever? Can I honestly picture myself doing anything else? I don't aspire to be an administrator. Maybe a counselor, but does a school counselor really get to talk through situations with students? Would I really be good at that? Would I be doing a disservice removing myself from the classroom? Should I get another masters degree in counseling? Or something to do with secondary education? Psychology? Or literacy? What is a good goal to strive towards that is longer term than "improve test scores"? Where do I see myself, professionally, in 10 years....15 years...even 20 years? (yikes!)

Right now it seems odd to NOT be in school after May 2013, but is it realistic/logical/beneficial to have more than one masters degree? The problem is that I just acquire more school debt; however, if I continuously go to school, my repayment would always be on deferment....right? Omg. Did I just find a loop hole in paying back student loans???? If I never stop taking courses....then I never start the repayment back. Right???? To any of my teacher friends, what are your thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment