Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sisterly Love

Each night before I fall asleep, my mind comes up with lists of things I need to try and accomplish the next day as well as TONS of blog ideas. Last night I was thinking back on my day and how much I loved going to the Children's Museum with my sister and my twin nieces. This got me to thinking about my love for my sister. I started thinking about how incredibly lucky I am to have her in my life.

I have always looked up to my sister and have so much respect for her. I remember she used to write stories and songs for us to sing. Being such a talented writer (as some of you know from reading  her blog) I always thought she would grow up to be a children's author or write chapter books like the "Sweet Valley Twins". She often wrote plays and we would video tape them. One of my all time favorites was the one where I was seeing a ghost (played by Crystal) and we even got Marshall and dad in on the play. [btw Dad did a good job of impromptu acting :) ] We would also create commercials and music videos. Julia Childs, psychics that can "read" minds, tire swing salesman, Julius Caesar....so many home movies. They were epic. <<I want to go back and watch them now that I am remembering them>>

Among her writing talents, she was also a talented choreographer. She would come up with dances and we would also video record ourselves doing those. The best one was probably the Spice Girls song, "Say You'll Be There." :) We did it in the back yard at nighttime under the moon light. I remember my shirt kept coming untied and I would have to retie it....however....I didn't want to mess up the video so I would try to do it inconspicuously.

Playing barbies was also something we spent hours doing. I always had to be Ken....in fact....even when we were pretend playing I always had to be the male role. I guess that is the perk to being the older sister- you get to call the shots.


left to right: crystal, me and mandy

Like most siblings, we had our issues. At the moment, I do not remember any specific ones..but I am sure they were her fault. :)

Once we got a little older we started going to concerts together. To this day, I love going to rock concerts with her and my father. It doesnt feel right to be there without them. In the summer between my sophomore and junior year, we went to an autograph signing for my favorite band, Styx. When we met them, my phenomenal sister asked the lead singer (Tommy Shaw...who I was/am in love with) to ask Sarah "will you marry me." Yep. Thanks to my sister, I am still engaged to Tommy Shaw.



I remember some of her boyfriends from high school but none of them stood out compared to Raymond. At first I was jealous of their relationship and didnt really like how he was "changing" things. He was coming to family functions and taking time away with her. It grossed me out when they showed each other affection. I got over my big sister having a boyfriend when I realized how great of a boyfriend he was and how happy my sister was when she was with him. Once they became engaged, I was lucky enough to be her maid of honor. It kind of sucked for her to have an 18 year old-just-out-of-high-school be her maid of honor because I didnt fully know or appreciate what that entitled. I would have been such a better maid of honor now that I understand the role more. Being a part of such an important day will be something I will always cherish. My big sister was so stunning.




Something that I will never be able to show my appreciation for enough is the day Caleb was born. My sister is an amazing photographer and I asked her to photograph Caleb's birth. The pictures from that day are indescribable. To have someone that I am so close to document such a monumental moment in my life is something I can never repay. I am so lucky that she was there to experience her nephew being born and help me remember that day through one of her many talents: photography.



This brings me to one of the things I admire the most about my sister: her mommy abilities. The day we found out they were pregnant was such an amazing day. The day she gave me the gift of being an aunt was an even better day. Those two daughters of hers mean so much to me. I admire how my sister is so involved and active with them. She takes them to the Zoo, Children's Museum and park all of the time. She works with them on letters, colors, shapes, numbers, animals and so much more. She has always been such a good role model to me, but being a mom is something that makes me so grateful to have her as a role model. If I can be half of good of a mom as she is, then I know Caleb will turn out alright.


I can't wait to see what kind of memories we have in our future. Our kids growing up together, being in their Uncle Marshall's wedding, family vacations....maybe I should try to talk her into making another movie or music video. :)


I love you sister. I am so lucky to have a big sister like you.





"Sisters by chance, friends by choice"

1 comment:

  1. Awwww you made me all teary-eyed! This is so sweet, thank you!

    But first, let me just clarify: When playing Barbies, you WANTED to play the male role!! lol (And remember when you wished you were a boy named Mike? Yeah, I went there!)

    Anyway, I was grinning ear to ear reading this, I completely forgot about so many of those movies. I definitely don't remember some of the ones you mentioned. I remember the ghost one though, that one was awesome! And our Spice Girls video (the song came on my ipod recently and I actually remembered our little dance--which was NOT that good, if I can clarify again!). Remember "Don't Speak" at the apartment? yeah, we should make a new video one of these days :) Get the kiddoes involved!

    I remember 2 fights: 1) fighting over these brown blankets. I remember that one had a horse and we were screaming at each other because we both thought it was ours. And that we both wanted to say bad words b/c we were so mad, but didn't want to get in trouble. lol--i'm cracking up! And 2) I wanted to play outside so bad and all you wanted to do was watch tv. After arguing with you about it, I remember whining to mom to make you go play with me. I kept going and going and going until she yelled at me to shut up and threw marshall's bottle! lol Poor mom. I made her snap. :-/

    Anyway, you brought up some of my favorite memories too! I'm so glad I have such a great little sister and life long best friend. I hope our kiddoes are as close as we were. It's like us again: Crystal, Sarah, Marshall = Rayleigh, Aubrey, Caleb. Oh geez, I hope the girls don't dress Caleb up like a girl and then lock him outside!! LOL
    *sorry Marshall... all in the name of creativity!!*

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete