I was lucky enough to experience one of the best days of my life this past weekend: my baby brother getting married AND my best friend getting married....to each other!!!!
My best friend has dated some losers...and that is putting it mildly. I haven't known them all, but the stories tell themselves.
My brother has never really had any girls in his life that really stood out, but I know he was always looking for someone he could commit to and fall in love with.
On my brother's 21st birthday, I decided to invite Megan to go out with my parents and me to Howl at the Moon. She knew my brother, but didn't really know him very well. Actually, I'm not sure they ever really even had a conversation before that night. The night was pretty normal. Marshall is a sweet kid who danced with me and my mom, was funny and had a good time. If memory serves me correctly, this random, semi-attractive guy was actually hitting on Megan, but anyone that knows her knows she is not one who can easily be picked up by a guy....especially at a bar.
The next night was the get together at my parent's house for friends and family to celebrate Marshall's birthday, and again, Megan was invited. Long story short, they apparently were attracted to each other and made plans for a date. (They both asked how I felt about it before hand, lol).
I got a lot more out of Megan than I did Marshall, which I think is pretty normal considering we are BFF and girls love to share. She was so excited about him. He treated her so differently than some of the other guys she had dated. He was caring, funny, sweet, considerate and just "didn't seem real." (Of course, I credit his positive character traits to his awesome older sister(s).) :)
Fast forward 9 months later, and I got to witness my brother propose to my best friend just 3 weeks after I had Caleb. 9 months doesn't sound like a long time, but when you know, you just know.
Fast forward 2 years and almost 2 months after Marshall's 21st birthday and we arrive at the big day, June 29, 2013.
To say Megan was a beautiful bride is an understatement. I never realized how truly beautiful my best friend was until that day. Her hair, her make up, her dress, her smile and her happy I-don't-care-what-happens-because-I-am-marrying-the-man-I-love attitude was such a joy to be around. She was (is) stunning.
To say that it was the best day of my brother's life would also be an understatement. I believe when a man cries it shows his true character and happiness he was feeling. I have never seen my brother so alive. He wears his heart on his sleeve, like me, and there was no containing his excitement.
To say that the photographers likely avoided me when taking pictures is the biggest understatement. I couldn't contain myself. I was a blubbering mess as I walked down the aisle, as Megan walked down the aisle, during their ceremony, during my speech, during their dance...I mean...basically all day.
Not many people get to experience the closeness I felt by having a deep love and connection to both people getting married. Having my entire family involved also made it that much more special. My sister and I were both bridesmaids, my brother in law was the best man, my hubster was an usher, my nieces were the flower girls and Caleb was the ring bearer (even though he was really just there for the "cute" factor). :)
So there you have it. Easily one of the "Top 10 Best Days of My Life" days in a nutshell. My not-so-baby-brother and best friend's wedding. I am so happy for them both and feel so lucky to welcome Megan into our family. Good job, brother.
**I should also explain that part of the fun of this is that Megan Huey married Marshall Hughey (last names pronounced the same but spelled differently). We jokingly said they should date so she could keep her last name. Ha...joke's on her. :)
***Sorry for no pictures. I am feeling lazy (sleepy) and since the only people who read this are likely my friends on facebook, you can see some pics there.
Love this story!!
ReplyDelete